Four Views on Christianity and Philosophy
In Four Views on Christianity and Philosophy (Zondervan, 2016), EPS members, Paul M. Gould and Richard B. Davis, edit, compile and introduce interactions on four predominant views about the relationship between philosophy and the Christian worldview and their implications for life and practices.
The contributors and four views include:
- Graham Oppy: “Conflict: Philosophy Trumps Christianity.”
- K. Scott Oliphint: “Covenant: Christianity Trumps Philosophy”
- Timothy McGrew: “Convergence: Philosophy Confirms Christianity.”
- Paul Moser: “Conformation: Philosophy Reconceived Under Christianity”
Each author identifies the propositional relation between philosophy and Christianity along with a section devoted to the implications for living a life devoted to the pursuit of wisdom. One of the benefits of this book is the point-counterpoint responses and replies among proponents of each view.
In their resourceful introduction, Paul Gould and Rich Davis explain the background to this “four views” discussion and provide some historical background, as well as helpful summaries of each position in the conclusion.
In the reader-friendly, Zondervan Counterpoints format, this book helps readers to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of each view and draw informed conclusions in this much-debated topic.
Gould and Davis present their co-edited volume with the intent to help resource and encourage professors, students, pastors and other Christian leaders.
Their own “advice to students” embodies the ideals of this book. How might one think about going into philosophy?
Readers may also enjoy the following other projects and resources provided by the Evangelical Philosophical Society:
- Subscribe to the Christian philosophy journal, Philosophia Christi. Even better, become a member of the EPS and get the journal as part of your annual membership, along with access to events like the EPS annual meeting.
- Enjoy and interact with the following EPS web-based projects:
- Christ-shaped Philosophy project with Paul Moser, Richard Davis, Graham Oppy, and dozens of other contributors.
- Christian Philosophers in the Secular Academy project.
- Symposium on Academic Disciplines, Faithfulness, and the Christian Scholar with contributions from Paul Gould, Richard Davis and others.
- Sketches of Christian Virtues for Everyday Life discussion.
- Philosophical Discussion on Marriage and Family topics.
- Philosophy of Theological Anthropology web project.